Jan 19, 2011

Bits and Pieces: Mosaic works

Syrophonecian Woman by Ralph Yeager Roberts 2006

All of the pieces are decorative mosaics made largely from glazed ceramic (Mexican) tile.  The piece that I have a few detail images of and remains unfinished does incorporate some class and even metal objects. 

  
  
The woman with the red head covering is a work which is only shown in part here.  Arguably she is the prototype on which my Mary in my original Nativity Scene (2010) was based.  However the subject of this large mosaic is the Syrophonecian woman who argues Jesus exclusive concern for the Jews and is recognized for having made a good case in favor of God's concern expanding to enfold gentiles.
 




 
unfinished mosaic by Ralph Yeager Roberts 2008

     
unfinished mosaic by Ralph Yeager Roberts 2008

The unfinished work was a commission I started but never received payment.  The image was my interpretation of Danae and one that was playing on or in conversation with Klimt's famous work on this classic theme.  It may be hard to get hold of at first but what is depicted is a woman suspended a bit as if floating in water or lifting in the air.  I started to fill in the space around her which was supposed to eventually communicate the sense of a fluid and watery flow of golds and whites, hints of the seminal but proceeding as the myth explains from Zeus in the form of a shower of gold.
 
unfinished mosaic by
Ralph Yeager Roberts 2008
unfinished mosaic by
Ralph Yeager Roberts 2008


There is another piece I am not very fond of but it was one of my earliest attempts at a mosaic.  It is to look like someone delivering a speech or instructing others.  The figure is meant to be male and a youth.  He is part Jesus before the learned men in the temple, and part Greek philosophy student.

 
 


Young teacher by
Ralph Yeager Roberts 2006

I also posted a graphic I was playing with.  I lifted portions of the large woman with red head covering piece, the sky to be exact.  I liked the swirling Vincent Van Gough ish sky that I did and thought it could make a nice and unique personal letter head or watermark for use on resumes, letters or other printed materials I might distribute but never finalized a design that I found sufficiently pleasing.












 







                                      




No comments: