Jan 14, 2011

Night at the Mulan Rouge



My friend and housemate performing as Tina Turner during her step down show in 2008 ending her reign as the first Miss Crusin 7th.  The theme for the show was a Night at the Mulan Rouge.  If you are familiar with the film you will see how close to the images and set we where especially with the papier mache windmill.  This was in Jay's apartment for months and took up a good portion of the living space.  The roof was a separate piece as are the blades to the windmill.  It could not be assembled until we got it on stage since without the roof the windmill was only about 11 inches from the ceiling.  I will share a funny story at my own expense which is that when Jay initially proposed designing a replica of the windmill I tried to steer us in another direction.  I had watched the movie so often and hardly registered the windmill.  The elephant seemed a better idea to me.  Jay seemed to think the windmill was significant.  I took to the Internet and did a bit of on the spot research hoping to find out some other possible direction by relying less on the film and more on the history of the club.  Many will already be smirking, aware how little I took away from my grade school french classes for of course in little time I read that Mulan Rouge means red windmill and it was this for which the club was named and to this day the theater can be found by following the red windmill perched over the entrance.

No comments: